Sunday, March 16, 2008

My first trip to the hospital

I woke up yesterday with a fever and a stuffy head. Not surprising b/c Chad has been sick for the last 3-4 days. Fast forward a few hours: fever was 101.5 and I felt horrible. I was freezing so I put on really warm pjs and got into bed. When I woke up, I thought I was going to throw up so I went to the bathroom. Here's where all the 'firsts' come in:

I got to the bathroom where I promptly passed out (first time passing out ever!). Chad hears the thud, I don't respond, so he runs in and I was waking up. He helps me up and walks me back toward the bedroom and I passed out again in the hallway. He gets me up AGAIN and I'm like "I feel fine. I really feel ok." He's freaking out, of course. "We've got to get you to the hospital..." "Omg..." "swear words..." etc. I reassure him I'm fine. He got a cold washcloth and rubbed my face and chest with it. I really felt ok. He's still freaking. So I called my nurse friend and she told me I needed to go to the ER. Then I start freaking out.

We get to the ER (first time in the ER) and the doc there takes the person before me, then sees that I'm 23 and passed out. Apparently that's a big deal so she comes running out asking me all these questions which freaks me out some more. She takes me back to the exam room, asks me the same questions again, then admits me to the hospital. I get an IV (another first), my blood drawn (another first) and spend the next 4 hours on a ridiculously uncomfortable hospital bed answering questions while two IV bags drip into me. I got an EKG (my first one!), a CT scan and a stress test thingy (first one). Oh, I had to pee in a cup, too, to make sure I'm not pregnant (first pregnancy test!) because some women pass out when pregnant I guess? Nope, not pregnant.

The stress test showed my blood pressure was normal but my heart rate was at 125/minute. I told the PA that I don't handle situations like this very well, but she made me have another bag to see if it would go down. It didn't. So the ER doc comes in and says, "So, are you the passer outer girl?" Yep, that's me. "Why'd you do that?" Ummm... needed excitement in my life? I don't know! "Why is your heart rate so high?" It gets like this when I'm this congested. "Oh. Ok. I think you're fine. You can go." So, I'm discharged.

I feel ok today. My head is still very stuffy. I've since figured out that I don't remember passing out in the hallway. Chad told me that and as much as I try, not coming back! I also smacked my arm on the counter (I think) and that's pretty tender today. My ankle hurts, too, which I'm assuming is from hitting the floor. I have a sore back (who knows what that is from), but I'm ok. I think I just got too hot from being in really warm pajamas in my really warm bed. Or, the PA's best guess was that I was dehydrated. I hope that's what it was, anyway! I'd rather not pass out again :o)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YIPES! I'm glad you're the one writing this post and not Chad or else I'd be really worried. The fact that you can blog about your experience is reassuring to me that you're feeling better. But so sorry to hear about such a horrible day!!!! I hope the stuffiness clears up soon and that you're back on your feet in no time.

Christina said...

I'm glad you're OK and hope that it doesn't happen again! How scary!